Sunday, October 4, 2009

HW #9

To Julie,
Thanks for taking the time to watch my video and read my thoughts. I appreciate you adding your thoughts as well =]

In your comment you pointed out that I sould talk more about why these digital representaion devices are satisfying at the moment, but then quickly forgot about. This was helpful because even though I talked about it a little bit in my post, your comment made me think about it more deeply.

In my post I was more focused on the recreational part of technology. How it usually used as something to just pass the time, and is often useless. In your comment you brought to my attention that technology often distracdts us from doing work. I never really thought about something often considered useless can stop someone from doing something useful.

After reading you comment (and rereading my post)I noticed that we both were interested in how different digital devices keep us from connecting/ bonding with the ones that we care about most. We both realized that we would rather talk to people who don't really matter (or who we don't care about) instead of spending time with the ones we love.

Thanks for your comment =]



To Devin,
Thanks for taking the time to watch my boring video, and leaving a comment. In your comment you talked about having a balance (like you did in your post). Having a balance with technology can be between anything (for you its sports, for me its relating to people face to face), this made me want to try harder to have this balance and was also very helpful.

You mentioned taht if we were to film ourselves reading a book that it wouldn't be as boring and we wouldn't have the same reactions. I would have to somewhat disagree because reading a book can cause us to look "zombyish" as well. I feel like we can get enveloped in a book just like a computer or any other type of technology. I feel the only reason a book is different (or accepted?) is because it is considered educational.

Something that we both seem interested in is how we could be making better use of our time. Even though we know this do you think we would really make the effort. It's like knowing you should be doing something...does that mean you're going to do it just because it's right???

Thanks for the Comment =]

1 comment:

  1. Hey Aja,

    Thank you for your nice comment, although I think you are giving me too much credit for staring at a screen. I think you also give me too much credit for having good balance in my life.

    You've made me think that even though I get a lot more physical activity than a lot of people who play video games and are on facebook etc., I think I maybe get too much physical activity with so many hours each week spent with soccer/dance training, and soccer games. I don't have that much "hanging out" time which can be healthy as well.

    I also like your question about who has a say about the balance in our lives. We're teenagers, so we are beginning to express our independence. But, I think that when we teens tend to overdose on the usage of digital devices that parents should get involved enough to point out that we need more time spent on physical exercise and seeing friend and family face to face.

    As you suggested, can we even answer the question "what is the perfect balance in our lives?" I'm not sure that we can but I do think that you should be able to know yourself well enough by this time in your life that you should be alert to overuse of digital devices. Say when you realize its already 4:30 in the morning and your eyes are bloodshot with purple bags sagging under them, and you remember that you spent 3 hours online, followed by 3 houes of video games, followed by 4 hours of television. Time for a slight adjustment in lifestyle.

    Thanks, Aja, for giving me more to think about on the subject of balance in our lives.

    ReplyDelete