Thursday, January 7, 2010

HW 32- Tatoos

The definition of a tattoo is a "permanent mark or design made on the skin by a process of pricking and ingraining an indelible pigment or by raising scars" (thefreedictionary.com). When a tattoo is put this way it definitely seems less glamorous, however it sounds more bad ass. Tattoos have become apart of American culture, no matter what race. A tattoo is looked at as a right of passage in some ways for many people. Going against parents rules and branding your self with something that will be with you for the rest of your life provides a high. Especially for the first one. With all of this on my mind, I still wonder what is the real fascination people have with tattoos. I am one of those teenagers who cant wait until they get this design on their body that will be with them forever. I guess the idea that I'm the only one with that exact tattoo makes me feel unique and special. Even though I don't know what i want yet, I cant wait to get a tattoo.

A lot of the people I talked to had mixed feelings about tattoos. The older the person was, the more it seemed like they regretted the decision of getting a tattoo. When I asked my mom about her two tattoos, she said she didn't regret the tattoos themselves, but the fact that she got them. She regrets her following her friends to get tattoos one late night (but not what she got a tattoo of). Older people seem to regret following the norm, and giving in to the whole idea of getting a tattoo(even if they don't agree with it).

However when I asked my friends closer to my age, they felt the same way I did. Some don't have any tattoos yet but aren't far off form getting their first one. My boyfriend has 4 tattoos at 19. His tattoos range from a 'mural' for a his little brother that past to a quote "Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are". He explained how every tattoo had some type of meaning to him and what he has experienced in his life. He didn't want to regret any of his tattoos because he this is a life long thing. It seemed like most of the people I talked too strayed away from getting a 'tramp stamp' or something meaningless. People are more conscious about what they are getting on their bodies and how it represents them.

No comments:

Post a Comment