Sunday, January 3, 2010

Extra Credit 2- Tolstoy cool

In Ivan Ilych's culture it is the norm to try to live a lavish lifestyle. Obtaining a job that can provide that lifestyle is a must for them, especially Ivan. Ivan wasn't happy unless he had the best position in the courts, that could support his lavish lifestyle. I think that many people feel the same way in our society. When I asked my family members and friends 'what is your ultimate goal in life' many described the idea of success and having a lot of money. Everyone aspires to be successful not because they really care about the difference they can make, but rather how their salary is going to support/boost their lifestyle. I feel that everything in our culture media, parents/family, and even school supports this messed up way to live our lives.

Being a senior in high school, my main focus is applying to colleges. Picking the right college for me is crucial right now. Whether I want a big or small school, what I'm going to major in, and which school will give be the best education. Yes, some may really want a good education, but why do they want this education? I don't think it is because the want to be an all around educated person, but rather they know that having a higher education will lead them to a higher paying job. College is seen as the only ticket to living this desired lifestyle that society has a big influence on.

My ultimate goal right now is to attend college, get a well paying job, and hopefully start a family. Not only did i get these goal s from the norms in society, but also from my family. Besides going to college because my mom tells me I have to, I know college is the only way for me to become a doctor. I have always been the person who loved caring for people and helping others when they are in need. However, I would be lying if I said money didn't play a part in me wanting to become a doctor. The average starting salary for a pediatrician is about $100,000. That money could possibly provide me a better lifestyle than I am used to. Also being a doctor gives you a feel of authority that wouldn't be so bad either. Having people listen to me just because I have the 'expertise' would feel good too. Authority along with the salary seems like a desirable goal for many other people as well.

Even though I have some plans for my life, I don't always agree with them. Based on the way I had to live my life as a child, I knew that I wanted my future to be much better for me (and my future family). It seems like money would solve a lot of problems, and ultimately make life easier. Based on the map I have made for my self, my tone of life is based off of success. Just like Ivan Ilych, I think i would be too engrossed into my job/career. Not to he point where I ignored every thing and everyone else in my life, rather to do what ever possible so I could further my career and be the best. Besides success, I think that materialistic would be another way to describe my life in the future. I have always been taught/seen how much joy and satisfaction material things can bring someone. I don't necessarily agree with this lifestyle but I do play into it. I'm not sure what other tone my life could have.

No comments:

Post a Comment